Thursday, September 22, 2011

Menswear for Friends: AMI Launches at Barney's

It is always fun when you are one of the first to see a collection at retail... not only touch the fabric and see the detail, but also experience the merchandising and display. So, I was excited to be invited to do just that this week at Barney's, for French menswear label AMI.


I had previously written about AMI and their inaugural collection for Fall 2011, and it was great to see the pieces in person! They have a window right now at the NY flagship, as well as a significant in-store display.

In my conversation with designer Alexandre Mattiusi, he reiterated how the line is filling the void he and his friends felt in the existing menswear offerings. By literally calling the label 'friend' he makes it clear that "my friends are my inspiration" and that when designing he "makes sure I can wear it".


"I want to be the first customer", Mattiusi relays, and the easy yet well fitting pieces evoke just that. I particularly liked the sweaters, and was also very interested by the camel coat.



When asked what we can expect for Spring the designer shared that his outdoor presentation (complete of course with his friends) showed more color and softer, lighter cottons. Get to Barney's now (or online) to see the rest of AMI for Fall.


No comments: